Friday, November 27, 2009

Yes, I Believe.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. When I was younger, much much younger, I would get all dressed up in a pilgrim outfit that was probably a sibling's school play costume that I found in the attic. I marveled in what those first settlers went through. All in their quest to secure a better life, and worship God, someone our society today seems to try to forget. I imagined the joy they felt to find help before a long winter after so many hardships, and wondered what simple things in my life brought me such joy.

One of my very favorite things to do was to sit and watch the Macy's Parade as it was broadcast in the morning each year. I would marvel at the dancers, the Rockettes, the high school bands, the drill teams and hope that someday I would get to go. Given that I lived across the river most of my life, its surprising that this year was the very first time I ventured out.

I couldn't have picked a better year. The new parade route put the start line at the end of my street, so the 5:00am walk to the fence line couldn't have been easier --- okay, so it could have, I am now ever so covetous of those along Central Park West, with their comfy window views! Nevertheless, meeting with friends early in the morning was fun. And this year, the weather was absolutely fantastic.

In going, I worried that the magic and sparkle that came across on television wouldn't be there ... but it was. Maybe it was the tons of confetti that the clowns threw at us every 10 minutes, but even though we weren't by Harold Square, the dazzle was there. Jimmy Fallon was the most enthusiastic celebrity. It seemed as though his thoughts were "I can't believe I'm on a float in the Macy's parade. This is soooo cool." I love seeing Kermit, Snoopy, and the Smurfs. I loved cheering on the high school drum lines, watching the faces of the children around us as the clowns tossed confetti in their hair, and overall, I loved the humanity of New York where family is concerned.

There was an added bonus of having friends in the parade (and even a client) which made it all that more personal.

I don't know why I waited so long to go. But I'm blessed that the opportunity this year was too easy to pass up. It was the perfect start to a great Thanksgiving Day with family and friends. It was the perfect launch into a bustling Christmas Season. I am so grateful for my supportive family, and for dear friends in the city who make the experience absolutely fantastic. I'm grateful for the seasons we enjoy and the feeling and wonderment that come with them - evidence to me that someone greater than us all created them. I'm grateful for Jesus Christ who made it possible for me to enjoy all of these things, and for me to enjoy my family forever.
Thank you Macy's, for all the hard work. The memories I have from years past and the new memories from this year are wonderful ones full of family and dear friends. As for my answer to the questions on the balloons at the end of the Parade --- Yes, I Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment