Thursday, January 5, 2012

Far From Home

I often speak of wanting to live in a foreign country, a view I did not share until I had actually left the country for the first time in 2010.  Whether it was simply falling in love with Japan or the idea that so many different places could offer me experiences that would no doubt stretch me and help me to become more than what I had planned for myself, I haven't been able to stop envisioning my life overseas.

Since then I've traveled quite a bit, and am convinced more and more that I would grow a lot by living in a foreign country.  I can't wait to finish this pesky degree so that I can get over there.  Regular visits back for much needed haircuts (a girl can't give up her hairstylist) and family visits have been factored in.  Living in the West when most of my family is in the East, sometimes feels like a foreign country. Particularly when tragedy strikes.  

Early in December my sister in law was in a horrible accident after hitting black ice on her way to work, which has left her paralyzed from the chest down.  It was hard to hear that.  She's a good person.  Fortunately she is in good hands and is being cared for by the same neurology team who took care of Christopher Reeves.

A week after her accident, the family received some good news.  The appeal on the case against the attackers who macheted their way into the home of her sister and brother in law,  my brother's mission companion, was denied.  http://www.kjonline.com/news/supreme-court-upholds-life-sentences-for-fortune_2011-12-13.html

Last night, however, her father, who in the face of her accident was keeping a stiff upper lip and pushing through, suffered a sever accident of his own.  He has lost a hand, punctured his spleen, and cracked a few ribs.  He's been revived several times and we're hoping the news of his accident does not derail MonaRae's recovery.

My heart goes out to my nephew, David.  Who, being a dutiful son and grandson is splitting his time between bedsides.  He's exhausted, but he's pushing along.  

It is hard to not have the ability to be home to step in, to sit and wait and watch with the rest of them.  I used to think about the value of those who were always in the same place, who could be relied on all the time to be there.  The rocks of a community; and how it would be nice to someday be that person for someone else.  That sometimes those growing experiences are right in our own circles.

I suppose there are always going to be drawbacks, and given our family is spread out, it is not likely I'd be able to be there for everyone all the time.  I guess that's why we have airplanes, phones, emails, and all those other millions of ways we can say "I love you".  I do wish however, I was there.  

Here's hoping a miraculous recovery for all.  

~M

 





1 comment:

  1. i'm so very sorry to hear all these tough things that are happening. i know all to well how hard it is to be far from home (though fortunately nothing quite this heart-wrenching ever happened while i was away from mine). wishing your family all the best in dealing with these hardships! and hugs to you, chicka.

    ReplyDelete